This is the 2.6 Release Manager's list of things to do for LinuxCNC
2.6 release. The list is not prioritized.
Finalize new RTAI support
- (dropped hardy, kept lucid)
We will keep supporting RTAI on Hardy & Lucid, like we did for 2.5
Add support for RTAI on Precise
Document seb's build of the Shabby/memleak RTAI branch/fork for Linux 3.4
Put the new Linux 3.4/RTAI kernel in the linuxcnc.org debian archive
Update the buildbot to build precise-rtai debs
Verify the RTL 8168 NIC works
integrate rtai build with zultron's kernel builder?
make a non-lapic, non-smp capable kernel for use on older hardware to make is less painful to drop hardy (memleak offered to produce the kernel config)
As of 2013-10-30, building on precise-rtai-i386 produces many of this warning: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.4.55-rtai-1/include/linux/types.h:13:2: warning: #warning "Attempt to use kernel headers from user space, see http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelHeaders" [-Wcpp]
- (wheezy live image)
make a new Ubuntu Precise i386 RTAI Live CD
- (later maybe)
amd6 support? http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/10852
- (skipped for 2.6)
review & merge new RTOS branch
review all the commits again
- (done, zultron says this works now)
verify that parallel builds work
this branch does not build on hardy, so teach the buildbot not to build it on hardy
- (done, but with build-depends)
add a file to the tree telling the buildbot what (distro, kernel) combinations to build on
this branch changes how debs are made (and named), figure out how to deal with that and teach the buildbot
- (done as per Dec 4,2013)
lots of feedback from jeff here: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/11034
debs don't currently build in this branch
- (skipped for 2.6)
new realtime kernels (RTAI, Xenomai, & RT-Preempt)
figure out what kernels we want to ship
- (old set)
RTAI: Lucid & Precise, i386, amd64?
- (old set)
Xenomai: Lucid & Precise, i386, amd64, arm?
- (old set)
RT-Preempt: Lucid & Precise, i386, amd64, arm?
- (sort of)
use zultron's kernel builder to build the kernels
it currently builds xenomai kernel debs, teach it to build the others too?
Build & test all these kernels
Put the kernels in the debian archive at linuxcnc.org
Build Live CDs
Can we add freecad, pycam, ttt? anything else?
make a read-only(?) live usb stick image: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
build images for the Beagle Bone Black? Based on Charles Steinkuehler's MachineKit work probably
- (we decided not to)
review & merge the joints_axes branch
finish integrating the buildbot docs build with the www.linuxcnc.org/docs
the buildbot puts its stuff in stage-docs on w.l.o, need to update the index page to make the pointers work right
- teach the docs builder to put official release docs in special places (like we do with debs)
jthornton's thcud component?
- (in progress, not a blocker)
update the git repo with new VHDL from Peter
verify that the hm2 sample configs start with the current firmware packages from the buildbot (7i43 did not because of firmware files getting renamed, fixed in master in 2d12a18934c7a260b3ce28c8992b0e26e32cfc9b)
hostmot2-firmware-7i43-2 dir perms are 700, should be 755
- (in progress)
add 5i25 xml files
simplify/clean up sample configs
remove any that are out of date enough that they probably don't work anymore? (stg, stepper-*, plasma-*??, nist-lathe, motenc, max, lathe-pluto, gantry??, demo_mazak, dallur-thc, boss)
remove any that can be easily regenerated by stepconf?
remove any that require weird hardware (demo-mazak, etch-servo, etc)?
Frederic Rible's (aka fl0at's) jog pendant driver (USB Pendant XHC HB04)
halui mdi probe bug?
- Here's the OP: http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/40-subroutines-and-ngcgui/26290-subroutine-stops-without-warning
- OP reports that it fails in 2.5 and works in master...
- discussed on irc: http://linuxcnc.mah.priv.at/irc/%23linuxcnc-devel/2013-03-16.html
- (moved to 2.7)
ethernet udp driver for 7i80 and 7i76E from Mesanet
- works under new RTOS branch only with xenomai-user or rt-preempt kernel
- needs hm2-tram for non-sucky performance, which is not in yet
- dont Provide: emc2 any more?
- lintian issues
- our debian/control Standards-Version is ancient...
Curtis Dutton's Hitachi WJ200 driver
- the branch needs some cleanup still: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/9617
Huanyang VFD driver (modified modbus): http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy_cnc_router_table_machines/91847-huanyang_vfd_rs485_modbus-6.html
Rockhopper web interface: http://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg08774.html
update git docs (seb_kuzminsky, in progress)
move wiki content to git-managed docs, clean up
update hm2 manpage (seb_kuzminsky, in progress)
- hostmot2 manpage could be clearer on what encoder.scale means
- hm2 docs on pwmgen are missing some kind of break between the per-instance pins and the module-wide pins.
7i90 driver (Kim Kirwan and seb_kuzminsky, in progress)
- clean up epp api with jepler's suggestions (indicate endian-ness in function names)
- add epp manpage
- test out Michal Geszkiewicz's mesaflash program, put the deb in our deb archive
update our architecture docs & diagrams
- make a diagram for task
- make a diagram for motion
asciidoc latex equations
- we currently hand-generate pngs and post-process the html files to to insert them, which is just embarrassing
add vfd-b driver from Yishin Li (seb_kuzminsky, in progress)
describe ini variables in manpage
are all those pins & params working? .at-speed wasnt (fixed in vfd-b-2 branch)
go through the Delta VFD-B manual and the driver, remove code that doesnt apply (from the vfs11 source)
verify that .motor-rpm out pin matches .speed-command in pin
clean up translation mess
- gettext + po4a?
- might save this one for after 2.6...
- Triage SF bugs: https://sourceforge.net/p/emc/bugs/?limit=250
docs/man/man1/linuxcnc.1 does not get built from docs/src/man/man1/linuxcnc.1.in
both gcode/overview and gcode/machining_center define the parameter file format. Unify/simplify.
some build errors in Spanish and French docs.
the ini config doc, Servo section, "INPUT_SCALE" and "ENCODER_SCALE" read strangely
- (not sure what i was talking about)
homing docs could be more clear about index
splash gcode in axis says it's scalable by #3, but it's not
- The current version of ttt (4fae2ee48ff919a8819941f2e7afcbf632c691cd) supports #3, so just regenerate it
Shut up linuxcnc startup warnings (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.user/47407)
(https://sourceforge.net/p/emc/bugs/383/) missing licenses on some files in master, http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/11120
(done) remove freqgen? The manpage says "freqgen may be eliminated at any time, and almost certainly will be eliminated for the version 2.2 release of EMC."
(moved to bug tracker)
- done except dallur-thc config which maybe should be moved to attic anyway if doing dgarr/config-cleanup? see g.l.o/remove-freqgen
Consider integrating Vismach documentation
(done) Fix rename misses in gladeVCP - EMC_Action widgets (this breaks configs that have gladevcp panels with actions in them)