emc 2.3.x is now the stable version of emc. the information below is kept in case it's interesting to somebody.
This is the tentative schedule proposed by jepler:
February 1: no new features on trunk, only stabilization.
March 1: emc 2.3~beta.deb packages on linuxcnc.org
Call for translators
- update documentation for new features
(create v2_3_branch somewhere in here)
- April 15: emc 2.3.0 packages on linuxcnc.org
- June 1: anticipate at least one bugfix release by this date
- June xx: emc 2.3.1 / Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD by Fest (if Fest is happening)
Stuff to work on in 2.3
- increase HAL memory size (note: 2 x 5i20 + halui -> out of HAL memory)
stepconf: test and fix migration of 2.2 files
stepconf: test sherline support (SF#2187024)
Change old timers in sample configurations to use the new control pin- I think I got all of them....
- update hal tutorial with new screenshots and textshots?
- new cutter compensation algorithm: finish inverse time feed and arc-flip detection
- remove the basic stepper configs, or replace then with stepconf-generated configs that include their stepconf file
step-by-step document for users switching from 2.2 to 2.3beta (manipulating apt/dpkg) -> UpdatingTo2.3
- menu shortcut for latency-test
moving sample configuration files from /etc/emc2/sample-configs to /usr/share/doc/emc2/examples/sample-configs
- remove hostmot2 config dir
- extend hm2-stepper and hm2-servo with further examples (limit switches, estop, etc) - even commented out
- remove m5i20 sample config? (the driver has been obsoleted, no reason to encourage people to keep using it)
- See also the "Known Problems" section of UpdatingTo2.3
Projects postponed to 2.4
- change documentation toolchain to allow editing on 8.04's LyX? or postpone that to 2.4?
- there's too much left for 2.3. We should concentrate on making 5axis and missing axis letters as nice as possible --jepler
- split packaging (see thoughts on this in Emc2PackagesRedesign)
I am pretty sure we have people committed to build packages for: Ubuntu 6.06 (i386), 8.04 (i386, x86_64)
If you want to see packages for another version or distribution, volunteer on the emc-developers list to build it.